Now that spring is springing are you wondering why we seemed to get sicker during winter months when we are indoors most of the time? Sure, maybe it’s that lack of copious amounts of vitamin D from the low sunlight, but could it be toxins from inside your closed-up home that are putting your immune system into distress?
Did you know that mold, electromagnetic stress and formaldehyde from that glued furniture can mess up your immune response to the flu? Mold can also trigger asthma as can volatile organic gases from paint as well as the pesticides you spray for bugs. If you have trouble concentrating, are dizzy or are suffering from depression you may be susceptible to paint fumes, accumulations of lead or heavy metals from water pipes and possibly frequencies from home electronics. Carbon monoxide is well-known to be lethal but an early sign is nausea, confusion, headaches and coordination problems. Do you have a detector (or two) in your home? That carpet you just installed can be outgassing chemicals and fungicides, especially if it is a stain-resistant one. If you are sensitive, you may get symptoms from that new rug such as burning eyes, memory problems, chills and fever, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision and more.
Critters in your water could contribute to diarrhea and if that water is fluoridated it could facilitate collagen protein breakdown making you look older than you are. Fluoride can also contribute to hypothyroidism, hormone imbalance and hypoglycemia even though the dental industry says it’s ok. Chlorine is used in most city water systems to keep those critters at bay, but when chlorine reacts with water it combines with other natural compounds to form Trihalomethanes that trigger the production of free radicals in the body, causing cell damage. Chlorine has been linked to problems with your circulatory system, low blood pressure, change in blood pH, throat pain, digestive disturbances to name a few.
Microwave radiation leakage gets worse the older the unit gets and the more times you open the door. This can not only cause nervous system anomalies, but can affect your muscles making them weaker and also affect your cognitive ability. It also can affect your eyes if you are too close to the oven and stare at the food being cooked. Electromagnetic stress on the body from wiring, compact fluorescent lighting and personal electronics can raise a whole new set of symptoms ranging from fatigue to heart arrhythmias to headaches to other symptoms no one can seem to find a cause for. EHS or electro-hypersensitivity is a real illness for people who are incapacitated in the vicinity of electromagnetic frequencies and in Canada it is recognized as a disability.
While we have come a long way since I wrote the book “Your Health and Your House” in 1994, you still can improve the interior of your home to meet healthy standards. Look for low or zero VOC paints that don’t outgass, use polyurethane that is water based and make sure all the windows remain open when you paint. Purchase wool or cotton carpets without the stain resistant treatments and don’t use chemical cleaning products or air fresheners that are chemical based. Beware of cheap composite furniture that contains formaldehyde glue and avoid stain-resistant coverings. Don’t use garden pesticides, especially since they can be tracked indoors by your mud boots. You might want to invest in a water or air purifier and absolutely get a carbon monoxide detector. And to be safe – get a healthy house inspection.
For a copy of my latest ebook at no cost, Live Longer with Cellular Rejuvenation go to: www.longerlifeebook.gr8.com