Tag Archives: cat poisoning

Rodent poisons kill our pets too.

There are an influx of rats in New England so many people are resorting to poisoning them. (We have-a heart trapped ours and took them to the woods). These also kill skunks, raccoons, and possums too.  This post came from my vet:

To keep our fur-families (and humans!) as safe as possible, we would like to discuss products available that, if ingested, may be more treatable than others in their class.  Each poison product creates toxic effects and most require some degree of treatment.  Several types include ingredients containing:

Long-Acting anticoagulants:  ANTIDOTE = Treatment with Vitamin K. These anticoagulants prevent the blood from clotting, which leads to internal bleeding if not treated properly.  Toxicity varies for animals, creating more risk for our older or very young animal companions. Cats tend to be more resistant, although they not immune to toxicity.  Dogs tend to be very sensitive and almost always require medical treatment.

Cholecalciferols (vitamin D3), NO ANTIDOTE: The most dangerous and should be avoided when possible, especially for households with animals.  Even small amounts can be fatal for any animal, and almost all ingestion is at the very least, toxic.  Prompt aggressive treatment and monitoring is typically required.  Signs of D3 poisoning may not be noticed for 1-2 days after exposure. Symptoms include increased thirst and urination, vomiting, decrease of appetite, weakness/lethargy, and possibly an ammonia smell to the breath.

Bromethalin, NO ANTIDOTE: A Neurotoxin with long-lasting effects (requiring longer term hospital care) and is especially toxic to cats, although is toxic to dogs as well.

Zinc, Calcium and aluminum phosphides, NO ANTIDOTE: These are used mainly in other animal baits, but some mouse and rat baits contain these poisons.  These release toxic gases, and once in the stomach, result in serious gastrointestinal issues and possible liver damage, or shock.

If you must use a rodenticide on your property, place in an area that is not accessible to your companion animal.  If you have a choice to a rodenticide with long-acting anticoagulants, which are more treatable than other poisons on the market, we recommend this, however, these might not be as accessible after January of 2018 in response to EPA regulations that have restricted regulations and banned the use of second-generation anticoagulants.  Buyer beware, most rodenticides sold for residential use will most likely contain cholecalciferol or bromethalin, however many pest control companies that service commercial customers are still using anticoagulants.

If your animal has consumed any rodenticide product, call your veterinarian immediately.  Please try and provide the following information to assist in the most effective treatment for your animal companion: rodenticide packaging to identify the type of poison, how much of the rodenticide was ingested, and the approximate time the poison was ingested.

 

Advertisements

Cats and poisonous plants

tigdaisyWe know that lots of our readers have pets and many are kitties. We ourselves have many furry family members. We thought we’d share this information for cat owners who want to make sure their pets don’t get sick or die from eating houseplants or toxic yard plants. This is the list:

Lilies: both outdoor (tiger, daylilies,etc) and houseplants (Easter lilies, Peace lilies) when ingested can cause kidney failure  and death if not gotten to the vet immediately. Even a small bite can be toxic. If they start vomiting, get depressed and lose their appetite… look around. They may also drool and paw at the irritated areas. You may also get foaming and swelling. If you see part of the plant munched – get them to the vet.

Aloa vera: Many of us have these cactus in our homes and most cats will leave them alone, but if they should chomp on them they can get irritation of the mouth, tongue and esophagus. While not as critical as lily ingestion a visit to the vet will be prudent.

Other toxic plants are asparagus fern, amaryllis, daffodil and lily of the valley. Also watch out for dieffenbachia, rhododendron, azalea, oleander – all outdoor plants which normally cats avoid.

If you suspect the cat is acting differently, avoiding food or acting lethargic get them to the vet. If you can determine if they munched on a plant bring part of it with you. We all want our furry kids to be around a long time so you need to be diligent and not have those types of plants indoors. It’s more difficult outdoors but most cats know which ones not to munch on. Also please don’t spray your lawn with pesticides as cats and dogs not only eat the grass, but walk on it and then lick their feet. Pesticide poisoning may not show up immediately but can lead to neural damage and cancer.

 

Pain cream on your hands can kill your cat!

Veterinarians have long warned that pain medications like ibuprofen are toxic to pets. And it now looks like merely using a pain relief cream can put cats at risk.

That’s what happened in two households, according to a report issued Friday by the Food and Drug Administration. Two cats in one household developed kidney failure and recovered with attention from a veterinarian. But in a second household, three cats died.

When the veterinarians performed necropsies on the three dead cats, they found physical damage in the cats’ intestines and kidneys, evidence of the toxic effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs. NSAIDs include ibuprofen, like Advil and Motrin, and naproxen, which is in Aleve.

Ibuprofen is the most common drug that pets eat, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, perhaps since many of the pills are candy-coated. In pets, the drugs can cause stomach or intestinal ulcers and kidney failure.

But these cats died by flurbiprofen, another NSAID. In the case of its most recent victims, the cat owner applied a lotion or cream containing flurbiprofen to treat muscle or arthritis pain. And it’s highly unusual for a cat to show up at the vet’s office; usually it’s the dogs that get into trouble from exposure to NSAIDs.