Monthly Archives: May 2019

Pain reliever cream kills cats.

Don’t use pain reliever creams on your hand and then pet the cat…. can make them sick and even kill them! Read more…

“When the veterinarians performed necropsies on the three dead cats, they found physical damage in the cats’ intestines and kidneys, evidence of the toxic effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs. NSAIDs include ibuprofen, like Advil and Motrin, and naproxen, which is in Aleve.

Ibuprofen is the most common drug that pets eat, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, perhaps since many of the pills are candy-coated. In pets, the drugs can cause stomach or intestinal ulcers and kidney failure.

But these cats died by flurbiprofen, another NSAID. In the case of its most recent victims, the cat owner applied a lotion or cream containing flurbiprofen to treat muscle or arthritis pain. And it’s highly unusual for a cat to show up at the vet’s office; usually it’s the dogs that get into trouble from exposure to NSAIDs.

“I can’t even remember the last cat I’ve seen that got into ibuprofen or an NSAID,” Erica Reineke, an assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine, tells Shots. “We’ve seen more cats that get into antidepressants.”

Reineke says that she probably treats a pet for some sort of ingestion problem every day, but usually it’s chocolate or chewing gum, or the owner’s medication. As little as 50 milligrams of ibuprofen for every kilogram a cat weighs can cause problems; for dogs, it’s 100 milligrams for every kilogram. Reineke says she’s never seen flurbiprofen toxicity in her office and would have a hard time estimating how much would be toxic to a cat or dog.
Article continues after sponsor message

The FDA recommends that pet owners store all medications away from pets and to discard anything used to apply the medication. If any furniture or carpeting becomes contaminated, clean it immediately.”

Coronary problems, eye disease and homocysteine levels.

Homocysteine is a naturally occurring amino acid that is a breakdown product of the essential amino acid methionine. If your levels are high you may be at risk for coronary problems, cancer, deep vein thrombosis, stroke, kidney disease, hypothyroidism and reduced physical performance in older women. High levels also have been linked to aging eye disease such as macular degeneration, glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.

Normally homocysteine is converted into a harmless amino, cysteine or back into methionine but gluten sensitivity may increase the buildup and thwart its normal conversion. The usual problem is low B vitamins and low folate (B9)* which helps homocysteine normalize as well low levels of B6 and B12. Since stomach acid is required to produce B12 and adequate folic acid absorption, the aging body may suffer because they have reduced stomach acid. Also if you use acid-blocking heartburn drugs to reduce stomach acid that will affect your ability to process the B vitamins.

Routine blood tests can confirm B vitamin deficiencies but you should also ask to have your homocysteine levels checked. If low and if you have stomach acid problems you may want to supplement.

*folic acid is the synthetic version of  folate… not as good.

…Check out our sponsor for a liquid that contains the B complex vitamins: Daily Metrix  www.longlifenews.com

 

Natural help for allergies

If your allergies are seasonal and really annoying you may want to consider some natural help. Quercetin is my favorite as it helps stabilize the release of histamines from certain immune cells which decreases some of your symptoms like coughs, watery eyes, runny noses and even hives.

Bulking up on vitamin C will also help control histamine reactions. I find the best absorbed C is Camu Camu. Also important is vitamin D3. As we know this is good to fortify the immune system in the winter to prevent the flu but it also can shore up the immune system to fight allergies in the spring and summer. One of my favorites is Manuka Honey. I actually put a little bit up my nose and within minutes it seems to attack pathogens and cause my nose to run. Soon I find it clears out. The active ingredient, MGL methylglyoxal, has been shown to be effective for treatments against nasal mucus. Do some of your own research on this exquisite treatment from New Zealand and see if it can help you too.

Butterbur extract can help alleviate headaches and congestion as it blocks the swelling in the nasal passages. It is like an antihistamine without the drowsiness side effect. Another old fashioned (but now trendy) home remedy is apple cider vinegar. Not only can you takes some orally to alkalize the body but if you use a Neti pot to steam your head, put some in it and see how it helps to flush out your sinus’.

And of course to try to control production of mucus you might want to consider eliminating diary (especially cheese), eggs, potatoes, bananas, corn products, sweets and white processed carbohydrates. You also need to make sure you are taking a well-rounded vitamin complex to keep the immune system strong.

-sponsored by www.LongLifeNews.com where you can find Daily Metrix, a multi-vitamin liquid supplement for the ultimate in immune support.